Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey



Published By Walker Books for Young Readers
June 21, 2011

Alyxandra Harvey's Haunting Violet is a fantastic period placed novel that contains both mystery and romance. Violet Willoughby doesn't believe in ghosts because of her deceptive mother, a self-employed fraudulent medium, who takes advantage of mourning families for financial gain. Lord Jasper, a wealthy Spiritualist, invites Mrs. Willoughby to his estate to perform a s̩ance. As usual, Violet must take part in her mother's schemes or face starvation and homelessness. At the same time, her mother takes on the typical role of a nineteenth century woman by forcing her daughter onto Xavier, a wealthy young man who begins courting Violet, unaware of her peasant origins. Violet's opinion of the spirit world quickly changes when the ghost of a murdered heiress, Rowena Wentworth, begins to haunt her. Sixteen-year-old Violet must accept her talents and bring justice to the restless Rowena while trying to break a love triangle between herself, Xavier, and Colin Рan orphan boy she grew up with who now assists her mother.

Haunting Violet is deliciously funny, with a witty narrator that properly serves as a nineteenth century heroine. It is a book with enough mystery and romance to grip any reader's attention until the very last page. Although at times the language isn't accurate for a tale set in 1872, Haunting Violet will please any fan of historical fiction. Those well versed in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century literature will blush at all of the names and references peppered throughout the thoughtfully composed book.



This can be pre-ordered through Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Liz,

    I got your blogsite from an Amazon Discussion I started about young adult readers. I can see your blogsite is really new. That's good. It's at this point you decide what you want your site to be about. Do you want to post reviews of books you liked? Or talk about movies or books you've read? It all depends on you.

    I'm an indie writer, and author of LS: The Beginning. Please, I'd like you to take a look at my blogsite, and leave a comment while you're there.

    Kelvin
    http://icire.blogspot.com

    P.S: I'm your first follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thank you! This is a very exciting experiment for me. I figured I would just write about books. It is very rare for me to watch television or movies. I think I will post reviews for books that I like, both old and new.

    ReplyDelete